nanog mailing list archives

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 23:28:43 -0800

On 12/1/23 5:27 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
It would be better to keep the government out of it altogether, but that has little chance of happening.

I agree. But I do have a question: is there a Best Practices RFC for setting buffer sizes in the existing corpus? The Internet community has been pretty good at setting reasonable standards and recommendations, so a pointer to a BCP or RFC would go much farther to solve the bufferbloat problem, as I believe administrators would prefer the "suggestion" instead of ham-handed regulation.

But that's just me. I do know there has been academic research on the subject, but don't recall seeing the results published as a practical operational RFC.

(And this is very much on-topic for NANOG, as it is about encouraging our peers to implement effective operation in their networks, and in their connections with others.)