nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 18:51:57 +0000

While GPS spoofing is technically possible, all the extant spoofing only tampers with the ephemeris (satellite
position) data, not the timing stream. That's because hackers have been aiming at navigation, and may not have
expressed interest in GPS tampering when NTP tampering is so easy 🙂

To spoof GPS clocks, a hacker has to know where the antennas are, and get above them in order to inject a signal with
the right directionality. Commercial GPS clock vendors have implemented various anti-spoofing measures that, for
example, only accept signals from a certain cone of visibility, which faces up. They have other measures too, some of
which exploit geographic diversity, so if  you can have two or more GPS clocks in different hub sites, the clocks will
reject spoofing signals.

This seems like a much easier defense than deploying secure NTP (NTS), which adds a huge amount of complexity. At least
one researcher has shown that poluting the existing public NTP pool with enough bogus servers to seriously impact
network time is trivial (I cited their paper in an earlier post on this thread).  A well funded state actor could be
laying the framework for such an attack as we speak, lying in wait until an opportunity to disrupt Internet NTP
globally.

   -mel