nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:41:07 -0700

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 7:32 PM Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 9:46 AM William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 4:07 PM Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:
You could try suggesting IANA/PTI/ICANN to have a different RPKI trust
anchor and provide such services to legacy block holders.

the rpki design cabal assumed the iana would be the rpki root.  rir
power players blocked that.  so each rir is 0/0.  brilliant, eh?

Which means that all you'd need is a volunteer group with "street
cred" to set up an RPKI for legacy holders and then convince folks to
use their trust anchor too. Or have I missed something?

Merit, perhaps ?

But they would need to do a much stricter validation that they
currently have in RADB, which is more like Sledgehammer motto "Trust
me, I know what I'm doing".

Hi Rubens,

Last I checked, Merit was -really- expensive for RADB. I don't really
see getting more than about 5 figures total per year out of the legacy
registrants for RPKI, if that much. I think it'd have to be a
volunteer effort or something funded by someone who finds it to their
advantage that the legacy registrants publish RPKI records. Like the
way Letsencrypt is funded.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--