nanog mailing list archives

Re: any dangers of filtering every /24 on full internet table to preserve FIB space ?

From: Raymond Burkholder <ray () oneunified net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:49:47 -0600

On 2022-10-10 09:39, Jay Hennigan wrote:
On 10/10/22 07:58, Edvinas Kairys wrote:
We're considering to buy some Cisco boxes - NCS-55A1-24H. That box has 24x100G, but only 2.2mln route (FIB) memory entries. In a near future it will be not enough - so we're thinking to deny all /24s to save the memory. What do you think about that approach - I know it could provide some misbehavior. But theoretically every filtered /24 could be routed via smaller prefix /23 /22 /21 or etc. But of course it could be a situation when denied /24 will not be covered by any smaller prefix.

If so, a better approach might be to apply a max AS rule and take full tables plus a default from both (all). Something like "bgp maxas-limit 4" will optimize routing down to /24 but drop routes with long AS paths and punt to default, reducing your table size at the cost of sub-optimal routing to destinations that are going to take a convoluted path anyway.

And run something like netflow to determine high traffic AS paths, and optimize those into your filtering.