nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC chairwoman: Fines alone aren't enough (Robocalls)

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:18:06 -0700

On 10/4/22 11:58 AM, Tom Beecher wrote:

     Honestly the root of a lot of the problems here is the bellheaded
    insistence of still using E.164 addresses in the first place. With
    SIP they are complete legacy and there is no reason that my
    "telephone number" can't be mike () mtcc com.

You can do that all you want. You just don't get to interact with the PSTN.

What is the "PSTN" these days? It's a bunch of interconnected SIP proxies where there is nothing special about the identifiers used. With end to end SIP (or middle to middle, etc), the routing is not being done with e.164 addresses like in the legacy PSTN. It's just bellheaded thinking that e.164 addresses mean anything these days.The only time they make any difference is if they need to off ramp to legacy signaling which is becoming rarer and rarer.

Mike