nanog mailing list archives

VPN-enabled advance fee fraud

From: "Andrew G. Watters" <andrew () raellic com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:23:32 -0700

Nutshell version: a group of criminals who appear to be in Mexico have created an entire fake law firm and deal flow in the U.S., with Photoshopped notary seals and wire instructions. They reportedly use ExpressVPN-- the owner of the IP block used by the suspects states that it leased the IP block to ExpressVPN under a Letter of Authorization.

The suspects make money by causing victims to wire advance fees to Mexico as part of selling their timeshares, and possibly other transactions. My client has lost $70k or so thus far. He has received legit-looking documents, but upon even a cursory electronic inspection they are obvious forgeries. So this gang is savvy enough to steal money, but really reckless as well, which may explain why they are risking clicking on my links as well. I spoke with the lawyer who they are impersonating, and it was news to him that he is in New York City running a law firm considering that he retired in another state many years ago.

So the suspects are offshore and I'm not sure what I can do. But I would still rather have their IP addresses than nothing. Can I have a recommendation on the best way to pursue user data from VPN providers such as ExpressVPN? I already sent in a notice to preserve logs for the involved ASN, and I'm headed to Federal court in the next few days to see if I have a chance to get even some of the victim's money back-- or at least an injunction shutting down the suspects' online presence. Any tips on getting VPN user data (or best practices in this type of situation) would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Andrew Watters

--
Andrew G. Watters