nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 11:07:49 -0700

On 6/6/22 10:40 AM, Casey Russell wrote:
Is it?  I mean, as an industry, we already recognize that the average user downloads approx. 5 times more than they upload.  In fact, we use it to bash users who want a synchronous speed... tell them that's unreasonable.

I get your point, that if you try to use the outliers corner cases as your "measure", that's a problem.  And I agree that game companies might get lazier in terms of efficiency and distribution methods.  I'm just saying we need to be careful to have the conversations, and be open to them.  We need to provide good, well-thought-out reasons, and justify our reluctance to hit "low profit" areas.  Especially when we work in a sector that's being provided billions of dollars a year to do that very thing.  Short quips like "Downloading is a really bad thing to use as a reason" overly simplify the (real) problems and needs down to insulting sound bytes when talking to the public.

I realize you're talking to an in-group here, and might not have said the same publicly, so I'm not being overly critical, it's just an observation to clarify my own point

I meant downloads as in gigantic games. If you give them more bandwidth it just encourages the game makes to build bigger game downloads. It's just not a very good example when you're talking about how much bandwidth the average user needs.

Mike