nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

From: Daniel Seagraves <dseagrav () humancapitaldev com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 07:42:53 -0500

On Jun 20, 2022, at 10:02 AM, Michael Butler via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

I treat these folk with the same respect they afford me. Not once in 30 years of having a connected network (v4 or
v6) has any entity asked "is it OK if we .. ?".

Quite the opposite, I once had to endure significant frustration in contacting the organization running a system that
kept emailing my abuse contacts about a historical computer I maintained, advising me that my “Insecure CISCO Router”
was still accepting “dangerous" telnet connections despite the host’s banner including the text “This system is not a
router; The availability of telnet access to this system is intentional.”

If you are engaging in mass scanning and are not going to listen to the targets of your scanning please at least pay
attention to your results.