nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 15:00:34 -0400

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 1:10 PM Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us> wrote:

On 5/23/22 12:00 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

On 5/23/22 11:49 AM, Aaron Wendel wrote:
The Fiber Broadband Association estimates that the average US
household will need more than a gig within 5 years.  Why not just jump
it to a gig or more?

Really? What is the average household doing to use up a gig worth of
bandwidth?

this seems like the wrong question to ask. Or at least a short-sighted
question.
One question to ask is:
  "If I have to upgrade from X to 1gbps for my infrastructure over the next
5 years, what's the outlay in capex/opex?"

followed by:
  "What's my cost recovery plan now that I know what the bill will be?"

Some of that might be USF, some might be fees from subscribers, etc.

Being a gatekeeper to what folk can do at home seems ... not
terrific, though.

I want decent upload speeds for offsite backups of my home NAS. But no,
upload is usually some pitiful fraction of download. The local cable

having symmetric speeds over 20mbps certainly is nice, as a user living in
that world.