nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tool for virtual networks

From: Casey Deccio <casey () deccio net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 09:04:37 -0600

On Jul 15, 2022, at 9:07 AM, Casey Deccio <casey () deccio net> wrote:

On Jul 15, 2022, at 8:25 AM, J. Hellenthal <jhellenthal () dataix net> wrote:

For a quick cursory overview of this project, I would urge you to add an adendum or change the following line in the
installation documentation...

"%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL"

This is technically influencing bad behavior with sudo for those that are not aware of the security impacts of such
decisions.

I'm not one to provide a negative remark usually without suggesting a result that provides a positive impact that
can be built upon. So with that said and along the lines of that id suggest adjusting the documentation to contain
something of the sorts of a guided only per user or separate group other than "%sudo"... maybe "%cougarnet" and add
instructions for creating the group and adding users to that group.

Beyond that... nice project and thank you for your contribution to networking. This may be beyond the scope of just
this one mailing list and wish you the best.

Thanks so much for the feedback. As noted, this is still a work-in-progress. Now that I'm mostly past the
proof-of-concept phase of development, and one of my near-term to-do items is to improve least privilege in the code.

For those that care, I've made some changes, such that this is all that is needed in /etc/sudoers

%cougarnet  ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD:SETENV: /usr/libexec/cougarnet/syscmd_helper

https://github.com/cdeccio/cougarnet/pull/14

Cheers,
Casey