nanog mailing list archives

What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:52:20 -0800

There was an article in the Economist (sorry if it's paywalled) about Dish entering the mobile market using an AWS backend. I don't think that AWS brings much more than compute for the most part so I don't really get why this would be a huge win. A win maybe, but a huge win? I can certainly see that not having tons of legacy and accreted inertia is big win, but that's true of any disruptor. In the end they still need base stations, spectrum, backhaul and all of that to run their network, right?

Am I missing something, or is this mainly hype?

Mike

https://www.economist.com/business/will-the-cloud-business-eat-the-5g-telecoms-industry/21806999