nanog mailing list archives

Re: SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

From: Jeff Tantsura <jefftant.ietf () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:23:35 -0800

+1 Mark

There’s no modern silicon that doesn’t support MPLS (and is capable of imposing at least 3 labels). There’s 0
additional price for vendors to enable MPLS on their devices. The rest is subject to vendors’ licensing and is
completely artificial.
SR-MPLS uses MPLS data-plane and requires no changes to silicon, since head-end might be required to push more labels
(TE, BSIDs, services)one needs to pay attention -  (RFC8491/8476) allow signaling of MSD (maximum SID depth) if
centralized controller/PCE is used for path computation.
LDP after all the years of bug fixing is still a crappy protocol, moving to SR-MPLS makes all the sense.

Cheers,
Jeff