nanog mailing list archives

Re: 40G QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ on MX960

From: Mark Tees <marktees () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 10:03:40 +1000

Any idea if Juniper will support that on MX?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 03:35, Michael Still <stillwaxin () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 3:59 AM Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 2/25/22 09:04, Saku Ytti wrote:

Then you went too far. For many users the 40G port is there to increase
10G density, by offering 4x10GE breakout. It is already difficult to
support 1GE customers and 10GE is starting to become problematic. But SP
networks actually have these customers, and not every application on the
Internet will always need more and more capacity, so many of these
customers have no requirement to ever purchase faster ports.

If you live in cloudyworld, sure, denser and faster. But this mode of
thinking is making life at SP networks rather difficult.

100%.

New boxes from Juniper that have shipped with a minimum of 10Gbps when we
still have 1Gbps use-cases has meant we've put orders off. 12 months later,
they have new iterations of the boxes now allowing for all the way down to
1Gbps.

Check out the Adva MicroMux Nano for this use case if you haven't already.
10x 1g in a single 10g transceiver using a 24S MPO. They also have a 10x
10g in a single QSFP28 as well.

CloudyWorld is giving OEM's the impression that NetworkWorld also have
the same requirements. It's good to see some OEM's are getting back to
their roots, but it's not easy work.

DWDM vendors are the worst, because they look at all orders with DCI eye
glasses.

Mark.

--
[stillwaxin () gmail com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory

--

M Tees