nanog mailing list archives

Re: 40G QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ on MX960

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:58:42 +0200

On 2/25/22 09:04, Saku Ytti wrote:

Then you went too far. For many users the 40G port is there to increase 10G density, by offering 4x10GE breakout. It is already difficult to support 1GE customers and 10GE is starting to become problematic. But SP networks actually have these customers, and not every application on the Internet will always need more and more capacity, so many of these customers have no requirement to ever purchase faster ports.

If you live in cloudyworld, sure, denser and faster. But this mode of thinking is making life at SP networks rather difficult.

100%.

New boxes from Juniper that have shipped with a minimum of 10Gbps when we still have 1Gbps use-cases has meant we've put orders off. 12 months later, they have new iterations of the boxes now allowing for all the way down to 1Gbps.

CloudyWorld is giving OEM's the impression that NetworkWorld also have the same requirements. It's good to see some OEM's are getting back to their roots, but it's not easy work.

DWDM vendors are the worst, because they look at all orders with DCI eye glasses.

Mark.