nanog mailing list archives

Re: junos config commit question

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:54:50 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:

On an EX4300 switch running JunOS 14.1 let's imagine I typed

        config
        delete interfaces

before coming to my senses.  How am I supposed to back out of that
mess?  For the life of me, after a week of reading the 3000 page
reference manual, and endless DuckDuckGoing, I cannot see a simple
way of just abandoning the commit.  I've got to be missing something
stunningly obvious here because it's unthinkable that this functionality
doesn't exist.  Help?!?

What would you say if I told you a coworker once did exactly that, and did commit and-quit...and it had to be fixed by another coworker getting to it via OOB console and doing the rollback? :)

top [not necessary in your case, if you never left top]
rollback 0
quit

Also, get into the habit of never doing a commit without first doing
top show | compare so you can see what your change is actually doing to the whole config. i.e. if you did a show | compare at the top of the config and saw the entire interfaces section of the config was "removed" in the resulting config diff, you probably wouldn't commit.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are