nanog mailing list archives

Re: Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:21:27 +0200

On 2/9/22 18:19, Joe Greco wrote:

So what people really want is to be able to "ping internet" and so far
the easiest thing people have been able to find is "ping 8.8.8.8" or
some other easily remembered thing.

Pretty much - both people and "things".

Does this mean that perhaps we should seriously consider having some
TLD being named "internet", with maybe a global DNS redirector that lets
service providers register appropriate upstream targets for their
customers, and then maybe also allow for some form of registration such
that if I wanted to provide a remote ping target for AS14536, I could
somehow register "as14536.internet" or "solnet.internet"?

Fundamentally, this is a valid issue.  As the maintainer of several BGP
networks, I can't really rely on an upstream consumer ISP to be the
connectivity helpdesk when something is awry.  It would really be nice
to have a list of officially sanctioned testing points so that one could
just do "ping google.internet" or "ping level3.internet" or "ping
comcast.internet" or "ping aws.internet" and get a response.

The problem with this is that someone will try to make what could be a
relatively simple thing complicated, and we'll end up needing a special
non-ping client and some trainwreck of names and other hard-to-grok
garbage, and then we're perilously close to coming back to the current
situation where people are using arbitrary targets out on the Internet
for connectivity testing.

Totally agree - we need to be deliberate about creating something that is not only simple, but memorable, in addition to being built for purpose.

But I also agree that this will likely create an opportunity to over-complicate what should be simple. We'll need to put in as much effort into resisting complexity, as we will designing a solution.

Mark.