nanog mailing list archives

Re: VZ FIOS and Intel TCP IPv6 Checksum Offload problems

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:59:22 -0400

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022, Michael Thomas wrote:
In some situations where a client machine is connected via some specific
Optical Network Terminals (ONTs), and data is appended after the packet
checksum, the network adapter can drop receive packets when using TCP-IPv6
Checksum Offload for receive traffic.

My reaction is "offload from what"? Isn't this all done in silicon?

Because the interoperability flaw is in silicon, it can't be easily fixed
in either the legacy wired Intel ethernet controller or fiber ONT.  Would
need to replace the hardware to fix the silicon.

Need to disable the hardware IPv6 TCP checksum offload, so its not mangled
or dropped at the silicon layers anymore.

Its annoyingly intermittent and not visible with client-based Wireshark
because the corruption occurs in the hardware controller.

Uhm, this includes various versions of the intel pro 1000 card... so
that's a TON of gear,
to include like lenovo laptops, for instance. I'd wager that this is
super common in the field.
The PDF in the download says;
  "Products Affected: All 1gbe and 10gbe intel ethernet controllers...."

One wonders if this is a case of the 'mac addresses that start with 4
or 6 fail' problem?
(the pdf has zero words about what the actual problem is)