nanog mailing list archives

Re: IoT - The end of the internet

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:12:47 +0300

On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 at 12:48, Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
<pthubert () cisco com> wrote:

Hey,

I do not share that view:

I'm not sure how you read my view. I was not attempting to communicate
anything negative of IPv6. What I attempted to communicate

- near future looks to improve IOT security posture significantly, as
the IOT LAN won't share network with your user LAN, you'll go via GW
- thread+matter gives me optimism that IOT is being taken seriously
and good progress is being made, and the standards look largely well
thought out

1) Thread uses 6LoWPAN so nodes are effectively IPv6 even though it doesn’t show in the air.

I believe I implied that strongly. Considering the 'forced marketing
of IPv6' on the thread addressing scheme. Mind you, I don't think it
is big deal, might even be positive, but I would have probably used
inline PDU to decide roles.

--
  ++ytti