nanog mailing list archives

Unsolicited marketing (was: Re: Cogent ...)

From: John Curran <jcurran () arin net>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 20:27:50 +0000

On 31 Mar 2022, at 12:11 PM, Laura Smith via NANOG <nanog () nanog org<mailto:nanog () nanog org>> wrote:
The ironic thing is they demand NDAs and yet they don't comply with requests to stop unsolicited marketing despite
written historical promises that they would.

While I cannot speak to their marketing practices in general, Cogent has taken specific positive steps to avoid
inadvertant use of the ARIN Whois data for solicitation (taking place after our January 2020 engagement with them on
this topic), and in August of 2020 they regained direct access to the publicly available ARIN Whois data.  We do
occasionally get reports of potential misuse, but it is definitely far fewer than before (and many track back to
contact information provided to them via other means.)

As always, if you believe that your ARIN Whois contact information has been inappropriately used for solicitation by
any organization, you can report it to us at compliance () arin net<mailto:compliance () arin net> for review and
potential investigation.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran