nanog mailing list archives

Re: Something observed while doing IRR cleanup (generic name collisions)

From: Job Snijders via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:32:19 +0200

Hi Dan!

You highlight a common pitfall in IRR-based prefix filter generation.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 09:56:59AM -0700, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:
[snip]
as-set:         AS-PEERS
descr:          Peer AS Numbers
members:        AS132251,AS132561,AS132516
source:         APNIC

as-set:         AS-PEERS
descr:          swell.network Peers
members:        AS-HE,AS-NTT
source:         ARIN

..four separate organizations felt it would be clever to create a
vaguely-named AS-PEERS object, each in a different IRR, because the various
IRR's all allow this, and don't check for the existence of objects in
another.  No IRR's require any special names, nor do they block on any
generic names. No IRR sends a member warnings when their objects exist in
more than one registry with different data.

The RPSL RFCs permit a syntax which helps increase the potential for
'uniqueness' of object names across multiple databases: the trick is to
prepend the object with one's ASN. An example: "AS15562:AS-SNIJDERS"

This approach is also known as "hierarchical AS-SET naming". IRRd v4.2
instances require this naming approach for newly created objects.
Because of this feature the LACNIC IRR data source contains only
hierarchically named AS-SETs! Progress might seem slow, but all journeys
start with a few small steps. :-)

Hierarchical naming does not prevent the existence of duplicate names
across IRR databases, but it sure does help!

I haven't tried to query the peeringdb API to see if any of these are
used as advertised AS-Sets for public use, or if people just created
public objects for their own internal tools.  I'm sure this is not the
only case of this.

This might be why we can't have nice things.

Patience is the path towards nice things :-)

Kind regards,

Job