nanog mailing list archives

Re: gitlab contact?

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:42:59 -0700

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 9:57 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com> wrote:

Most cloud operations websites are kept internal. gitlab's is not,
which is pretty cool. In looking over this issue, today:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-com/gl-infra/production/-/issues/6768

They are tracking tcp syn retransmits, but not drops or other
congestion control related info. And
also using:

sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_notsent_lowat=4294967295;

where we've been getting good results with that set as low as 32k.
Anyone know anyone at gitlab?

It looks like that's their current setting, but the test they're
running will be to drop it to 16K:
sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_notsent_lowat=16384;

It'll be interesting to see what the results of the
test are, and whether 16K becomes the new "normal"
for them.   :)
(cool to see this--I spent a certain amount of my time at
my previous job doing kernel parameter tuning for large
scale services, so seeing what values others are testing
with is good validation.   :)

Matt