nanog mailing list archives

Re: uPRF strict more

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 14:01:33 +0200

On 9/29/21 11:12, Nick Hilliard wrote:

urpf has its place if your network config build processes aren't automated to the point that it's no longer necessary.  It would be a net security loss to the internet not to have it widely implemented on access devices.

As little as 12 months ago, many vendors either had no or a delayed roadmap to support uRPF due to lack of support on usually Broadcom chips, or just a lack of interest in developing code if the Broadcom chip they had supported it.

This was typically the case for new vendors entering the game, or existing ones who were starting to build a merchant chip product line.

I had this issue with Nokia's new IXR line last year. I think they may have implemented it on some of their boxes, but not sure yet.

Mark.