nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rack rails on network equipment

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:51:33 -0700

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:36 PM Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net> wrote:
* cma () cmadams net (Chris Adams) [Sat 25 Sep 2021, 00:17 CEST]:
Which - why do I have to order different part numbers for back to
front airflow?  It's just a fan, can't it be made reversible?  Seems
like that would be cheaper than stocking alternate part numbers.

The fan is inside the power supply right next to the high-voltage
capacitors. You shouldn't be near that without proper training.

Last rack switch I bought, no fan was integrated into the power
supply. Instead, a blower module elsewhere forced air past the various
components including the power supply. Efficient power supplies (which
you really should be using in 24/7 data centers) don't even generate
all that much heat.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--