nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:05:00 -0400

borg () uu3 net wrote:
Well, I see IPv6 as double failure really. First, IPv6 itself is too
different from IPv4. What Internet wanted is IPv4+ (aka IPv4 with
bigger address space, likely 64bit). Of course we could not extend IPv4,
so having new protocol is fine.
IPv4 was extendable, with header option as one concept that was shot down in favor of a new protocol.

If it was just an incremental IPv4 upgrade, than we would have been there already, and you could be using your extended IPv4 addresses to communicate with any gear over any network gear that had been upgraded in the past decade or two.

Its just that the internet was supposed to be able deploy a new protocol in the same or less time. Which didnt happen.

Joe