nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: John Curran <jcurran () istaff org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:10:47 -0400

On 16 Sep 2021, at 8:58 AM, Eliot Lear <lear () ofcourseimright com> wrote:

John you were not the "sole network operator" on the directorate.[1]
https://www.sobco.com/ipng/directorate.minutes/bigten.5.19.94
<https://www.sobco.com/ipng/directorate.minutes/bigten.5.19.94>
Eliot -

You are referencing the minutes of a rather large workshop (the Big10 confab) that had far more attendees that the IPng
Directorate itself.

The list of directorate members is contained in RFC  1752 "The Recommendation for the IP Next Generation Protocol” in
Appendix B, and is listed below for reference –

Appendix B - IPng Area Directorate

   J. Allard - Microsoft           <jallard () microsoft com>
   Steve Bellovin  - AT&T          <smb () research att com>
   Jim Bound  - Digital            <bound () zk3 dec com>
   Ross Callon  - Wellfleet        <rcallon () wellfleet com>
   Brian Carpenter  - CERN         <brian.carpenter () cern ch>
   Dave Clark  - MIT               <ddc () lcs mit edu >
   John Curran  - NEARNET          <curran () nic near net>
   Steve Deering  - Xerox          <deering () parc xerox com>
   Dino Farinacci  - Cisco         <dino () cisco com>
   Paul Francis - NTT              <francis () slab ntt jp>
   Eric Fleischmann  - Boeing      <ericf () atc boeing com>
   Mark Knopper - Ameritech        <mak () aads com>
   Greg Minshall  - Novell         <minshall () wc novell com>
   Rob Ullmann - Lotus             <ariel () world std com>
   Lixia Zhang  - Xerox            <lixia () parc xerox com>

And I'm not saying that there weren't arguments, but I am saying that nobody said, “wait for something better.”
Rather, everyone was arguing for their preferred approach out of the ones I mentioned.

Also incorrect. The preferred transition approached of the recommended IPng candidate (SIPP) was IPAE, and that was
actually dead-on-arrival.   Per the same recommendation RFC -

   The biggest problem the reviewers had with SIPP was with IPAE, SIPP's
   transition plan.  The overwhelming feeling was that IPAE is fatally
   flawed and could not be made to work reliably in an operational
   Internet.

This is what lead to the conception of the infamous Simple SIPP Transition (SST) approach as a stand-in Transition plan
in order to allow for a decision to be made – and creation of IETF working groups to develop the respective transition
mechanisms.  At the time of the IPng decision there was actually _no_ “transition plan” – as the very mechanisms that
were to be used (and that were eventually discarded as unworkable) were just placeholders for future IETF work.

Thanks,
/John

p.s. My views alone.  Warning: contents may be hot / burn hazard