nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 woes - RFC

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:37:59 -0400

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM Masataka Ohta <
mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:

NSAP addresses, which essentially are telephone numbers, assume
geographically aggregated addresses at country level (so called,
country code), which is why they don't need large global routing
tables.

The phone network doesn't really operate or 'route' in the same way as the
Internet does.
I don't think using it in a comparison here works, at all... I really wish
folk would stop trying
to make this equivalency.

(I think LNP actually means the phone carriers are creating a 'must know
about 6+b address/path mappings
in a possible future... or even just in the US ~350m endpoints/mappings,
but anyways...)