nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network visibility

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:19:48 -0400

On October 20, 2021 at 16:08 mel () beckman org (Mel Beckman) wrote:
Mark,

Before 1983, the ARPANET wasn’t an internet, let alone The Internet. Each
ARPANET connection required a host-specific interface (the “IMP”) and simplex
Network Control Protocol (NCP). NCP used users' email addresses, and routing
had to be specified in advance within each NCP message.

Then again there were IMPs fitted to various systems like TOPS-10,
ITS, Vax/BSD Unix, IBM370, etc.

So was that really all that different from ethernet vs, oh, wi-fi or
fiber today, you needed an adapter?

Even so, the Internet as a platform open to anyone didn’t start until 1992. I
know you joined late, in 1999, so you probably missed out on this history. :)

Well, we certainly tried in 1989 :-) We had customers from all over
The World, um, the big round one you see when you look down.

 -mel