nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network visibility

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:04:15 +0200

On 10/20/21 11:55, Nat Fogarty wrote:

Hi there,

I'm interested in what you good folks do in terms of network visibility.

My interests are around Service Provider space - visibility for IPoE, PPPoE, TCP(User Experience).

I use a product called "VoIPmonitor" for all things VoIP - and it is one of my favourite tools.  It is a web gui for sip/rtp/etc.

Is there a similar tool in the Ethernet(L2)/IP(L3) space?

Are operators using tcpdump/wireshark for this - or is there a voipmonitor-esque tool out there?

It's 2021, and more than 40 years of the Internet, we still can't walk into a shop and buy an NMS that just works :-).

Oddly, I was searching for a good system to manage subscriber management on our end (Broadband), and we eventually landed on Splynx.

So not sure if you want to see things on the wire (Layer 1 - 4), or if you are interested in pretty pictures...

At any rate, you may very well need more than one system to monitor your entire network.

Mark.