nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:57:54 -0500

On Nov 18, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

as a measurement kinda person, i wonder if anyone has looked at how much
progress has been made on getting hard coded dependencies on D, E, 127,
... out of the firmware in all networked devices.

At least the E space is largely usable last I checked (eg: IOS-XR, JunOS).  You can even measure traceroutes that have
the class-e space in them from some cloud providers if your network and the intermediaries don’t do u-rpf as well.

Most OS’es (MacOS, Linux, various *BSD) also permit this as well.  My understanding is that the RedmondOS may not
handle this, but if you need to number your infrastructure these addresses may work well.

- Jared