nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS/MEF Switches and NIDs

From: Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 18:48:00 -0500

It's not 100 percent about cost, but cost is a big concern.

My minimum requirement is a box that has 4 10G ports, and supports G.8032.
MPLS / Segment routing would be nice, but not required.

So far, I have yet to find anything comparable to Ciena' 3924. It's got 4
10G SFP+, and then 4 1G SFP's. Hardware costs about $550 new, and their
mandatory base software plus the 10G licenses add about $400, bringing the
total cost to $950. Then, they have an optional MPLS / Segment Routing
advanced layer 3 feature set, costing at least another $200, bringing the
total cost to $1150.

Anyone know something close in pricing to compare to? Note this is general
Ciena pricing, nothing special.

Mikrotik has a couple of options below this $1000 price point, but that
would not work.

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 4:03 PM Adam Thompson <athompson () merlin mb ca>