nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 15:59:31 +0200

On 6/2/21 15:46, Josh Luthman wrote:

Netflix has a different library in the US versus UK: https://surfshark.com/blog/netflix-uk-vs-us <https://surfshark.com/blog/netflix-uk-vs-us>

Practically, not sure this matters. There are a lot more titles on Netflix than we shall ever be able to view in our lifetime. Also, a title not available on Netflix in some country will be available via other means, if it's that good. Many of the good shows on Netflix are not Netflix originals.

But most importantly, the reason Netflix are doing well in non-U.S. markets is because they are producing content specifically for the markets they operate in, especially in the local language. Did you know "The Witcher" is based on Polish folklore?

I'd hazard that this is one of the biggest reasons of Netflix's success on a global scale, particularly in non-English speaking countries.

So no, I don't see the library as a factor.

Various countries have different speeds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds#Fixed_broadband <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds#Fixed_broadband>

I am looking for the 384Kbps in that URL but can't seem to find it...

On the real though, you're probably better off jumping on a plane and going to see what's out there.

It's hard to compare data when the underlying variables are different.

As I said before, some of my worst Internet has not been in a developing country...

Mark.