nanog mailing list archives

RPKI validation, BGP/allocation lookup UI and API

From: Alex Band <alex () nlnetlabs nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:26:46 +0200

Hello,

The RIPE NCC RPKI Validator historically offered a very complete toolset. One feature that has proven to be a useful
troubleshooting tool was the “BGP Preview” [1], letting you compare validated ROA payloads against announcements seen
by the RIS route collectors.

With the RIPE NCC Validator discontinued, over the last couple of months we’ve been working on replicating this
functionality and attempted to improve upon it in several ways.

A preview is now available here:

https://routinator.nlnetlabs.nl/

Example:

https://routinator.nlnetlabs.nl/69.252.0.0%2F12?validate-bgp=true

In addition to validating an IP prefix/ASN combination, you can:

- automatically lookup the validation ASN in BGP announcements for a specific prefix.
- see prefixes that are allocated to the same organisation by an RIR and their RPKI validation status based on BGP
announcements or a user supplied ASN.

This functionality is backed by an external, public API that hosts the allocations and BGP origin ASes:

https://roto-api.nlnetlabs.net/v1/

Example:

https://roto-api.nlnetlabs.net/v1/prefix/69.252.0.0/12/search

The open source repositories involved are:

https://github.com/NLnetLabs/roto-api (the API service)
https://github.com/NLnetLabs/rotonda-store (the in-memory prefix-based database)

We will be working towards stabilising the API and the UI in the coming months. We look forward to your feedback, which
we’re collecting here:

https://github.com/NLnetLabs/routinator-ui/issues

Cheers,

Alex