nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 04:39:52 -0500

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 09:08:06PM -0600, Billy Crook wrote:
Then again how many people would benefit from adding this to online
streaming, but don't already have cellphones that have emergency alert
popups that get their attention.  The kind of people who don't have
smartphones are going to be the ones still watching bunny ears television
anyway.

I've worked in science and technology for a long time, and I've chosen not
to have a smartphone.  Not that I have to justify this decision to you,
but: (1) I spend a fair amount of my time in environments with poor/no
connectivity (2) I participate in activities that are likely to result
in the destruction or loss of the phone and (3) I use my phone...for
phone calls and the occasional text.  So spending $40 rather than $800,
avoiding the morass of privacy/security issues involved in a smartphone,
and maximizing available battery life seems like the best move.

I know others who've made the same decision for similar reasons.

---rsk