nanog mailing list archives

Re: Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:18:17 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:23:22PM +0000, Bret Clark wrote:
Texas doesn't generally experience this type of extreme cold.

That was then; this is now.

As scientist Jeff Masters put it most of a decade ago:

        The atmosphere I grew up with no longer exists.  My new motto
        with regards to the weather is, "expect the unprecedented."

In the years since he's said that we've seen a number of unprecedented
events: Sandy, Harvey, California wildfires, last year's midwest derecho,
and so on.  This event in Texas is just another one; there will be more;
they'll get worse.

We should probably get ready for that.

---rsk