nanog mailing list archives

FCC outage report for Texas (central US) winter storm

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:47:24 -0500 (EST)

The Federal Communications Commission has posted a summary report on outage reports due to the winter storm impacting Texas and central US.

It looks incomplete to me compared to the detail collected during a typical hurricane. It is based on reports from telecommunication companies. If companies don't self-report, the FCC doesn't know.

Through February 18, 2021

8 Oklahoma outage reports
208 Texas outage reports

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-370095A1.pdf

Caida and Netblocks data shows more outages in the central United States (Texas), but I don't know how accurate their sub-county measurements are.

According to news reports FEMA brought in 60 generators and diesel fuel into Texas, but local authorities haven't dispatched orders for their deployment yet.