nanog mailing list archives

Re: .bv ccTLD

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 02:06:52 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Conrad" <drc () virtualized org>

Jay,

On Dec 3, 2021, at 4:46 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:
In general I could I understand that, but it is my understanding that the domain
is still marked reserved at the Secretariat,

Sorry, which secretariat?  As far as I know, the official status of ISO 3166-1
Alpha 2 codes is specified by the ISO-3166 Maintenance Agency and listed on the
ISO website (the “online browsing platform” output for BV being the URL I
provided).

The ISO 3166 secretariat, yes.

which is to say they could not have assigned any domains in it yet, even if they
were inclined to which we are told they are not.

ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 codes are used for more than TLDs.

True.

In short, I think this is a possibility not an impossibility or I wouldn't have
asked.

“With enough thrust, pigs fly quite well although the landing can be messy.”

However, realistically, I suspect you’d need to get the government of Norway to
actively pursue something like transitioning BV from their auspices to anywhere
else.  I also suspect the government of Bougainville (which I gather doesn’t
yet exist) would need to request the change (and get an exception from the 50
year hold down timer).  I am a bit skeptical...

Oh, there's a *formal* 50 year timer?  Apologies, I'd missed that one.

Yeah, as crappy as it will be for them to not have that 3166 code, you're probably
right that it won't happen.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com