nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reminder: Never connect a generator to home wiring without transfer switch

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 16:52:02 -0500

On Aug 25, 2021, at 1:30 PM, bzs () theworld com wrote:

<OBLIGATORY FUNNY STORY>

Except maybe that one guy at Harvard who came to replace what turned
out to be a 100+ year old, home made, "breaker" which fed our machine
room which was hidden in a narrow dark hallway winding around our
machine room behind an unmarked metal, locked doorway. I had no idea
it existed but we had no power so I called for help.

It was just a single copper bar about the size of a small candy bar
tensioned into hot clips. Probably 400A but who remembers.

He removed the old one confidently enough, grabbed the new one with
rubber-handled pliers and gloves and...

 Him: Have you ever played football?

 Me: Actually, yes, I have, why?

 Him: If something doesn't look right when I put this thing in just
 tackle me clear of it as hard and as fast as you can.

 Me: Um, ok.

It all worked out fine and I wrote a memo that maybe Harvard could
spring for a proper $500 breaker box?

</OBLIGATORY FUNNY STORY>

When I was working at the MCI training facility in 1994, I went into the power facility classroom where they had
battery strings, rectifiers, transfer switches, etc for students to learn on. I noticed that every 8-10 feet there was
an 8 foot long 3/4 inch PVC pipe with about 16 feet of rope threaded through it. When I asked what those were for, the
instructor said “We will use those to pull people off the electricity in case anyone gets shocked.”

I never heard that they were used, so that’s good.

—Chris