nanog mailing list archives

Re: Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 14:55:40 +0200

On 10/29/20 14:40, Jared Mauch wrote:

        I know there was a recent fix Apple did for devices talking to UBNT APs
for their handsets, perhaps there's a similar fix needed on your side?

        I have all UBNT at home for wireless and periodically have some random
issues which I can't explain, but for the most part have things tuned to ensure
there's little to no interference.

I am running TP-Link AP's. Two of them are Google OnHub, which was built by TP-Link, and the 3rd one is the TP-Link Archer C6.

So they all support 802.11ac, which is where my device spends most of its time (5GHz).

No interference from my neighbors (separated by thick walls), and I am running separate channels for both frequencies per device.

Also, no other wireless device is suffering like this.

        Do you see the same when hardwired?  I keep many of my devices hardwired
to avoid odd jitter issues.

No issues on the wire at all. Quite perfect.

Like you, I hard-wire all fixed devices (TV's, a/v receivers, satellite decoders, gaming consoles, energy meters, e.t.c.). The only devices on wireless are mobile devices, tablets, laptops and the Windows PC which is hooked up via wi-fi as well.

   I also saw some older versions of the Pulse Secure
VPN add the behavior you describe, including the more uptime the slower it would
get.

I use Viscosity as an SSL/VPN client. The issue is the same whether it is enabled or offline.

Mark.