nanog mailing list archives

Re: Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 14:31:59 +0200

On 10/29/20 14:27, Matt Hoppes wrote:

Is it actually jitter or is it potentially the wireless network card going into sleep mode? I have seen that type of behavior on Apple products when the cards go into low power mode although I can’t say I have noticed that on my laptop.

Not, not sleep mode, because I am actively using the device to move data to/from the Internet.

I was actually struggling to upload some files to Youtube last weekend, and had to use another computer to do it as I couldn't figure out what was going on. That it is how bad the jitter is.

It seems to be a much bigger problem for the upload direction than the download, but it, inevitably creates a symmetrical performance problem.

Mark.