nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable Company Hotspots

From: Harry McGregor <hmcgregor () biggeeks org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 17:35:58 -0700

Hi,

Cable Cos do this in several ways.

Enabled hot spot on the cable provider cpe with separate ssid, sometimes the same channel sometimes dedicated radio and
channel (I prefer the same channel as many areas have way too much noise).  This hotspot service is using it's own
docsis channels and generally a tunnel.

Also many are installing wire or poll mounted access points for outdoor coverage.  These are not using anything at a
customer location.

Harry