nanog mailing list archives

Re: Telia Not Withdrawing v6 Routes

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 05:58:36 +0200

On 11/18/20 14:58, adamv0025 () netconsultings com wrote:

 From my experience, most of the SPs spend a considerable time testing for SW defects on features (and combinations of
features) that will be used and at scale intended,

I'm not so sure about that, actually.

I'd say there are some ISP's that spend some (or a considerable) amount of time testing for software defects.

My anecdotal experience is that most ISP's have neither the time, tools nor resources to do significant testing of software. More like, "is the version anything after R1, has it been around long enough, has it been recommended by TAC, are the -nsp lists raving on about it, is it a maintenance release, is the caveat list too long, does my vendor SE approve", type-thing.

  that's how you identify most of the bugs. What you're left with afterwards are special packets of death or some slow
memory leaks (basically the more exotic stuff).

Which the majority of ISP's likely will never test for.

Mark.