nanog mailing list archives

RE: Telia Not Withdrawing v6 Routes

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:45:05 -0000

On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:32 PM

On 11/17/20 08:54, Saku Ytti wrote:

I put most of the blame on the market, we've modelled commercial
router market so that poor quality NOS is good for business and good
quality NOS is bad for business, I don't think this is in anyone's
formal business plan or that companies even realise they are not even
trying to make good NOS. I think it's emergent behaviour due to the
market and people follow that market demand unknowingly.
If we suddenly had one commercial NOS which is 100% bug free, many of
their customers would stop buying support, would rely on spare HW and
Internet forums for configuration help.

Not to mention that many of us would not need to be around to babysit all this
dodgy software.

Definitely bad for business :-).

Being obsoleted already by "self-driving networks", there's no limit to what one can automate...
But then one needs someone to babysit all the automation systems.

adam