nanog mailing list archives

Re: CISA: Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 08:37:43 +0100

In France I must show a paper (not smartphone) printed permit, each
sortie one different paper.  The receiver of it (police) takes it in
his/her gloved hands then s/he passes it back to me.  I do not have
gloves.  I wished the receiver did not use the same gloves for each
pereson who passes by and delivers that paper to him.

Yep, couldn't believe it when my mate in Lyon told me the same thing
this week.
But I suppose this was to be expected, and is an idea that could
potentially spread, worldwide.

I’ve been in Paris all week, and have gone out, on average, once a day.  I pre-printed a stack of already-filled-out
forms at the beginning of the week, so I’ve just checked the appropriate box each time I’ve gone out, no big deal.
Seems quite reasonable to me.  Gets people to at least give some conscious thought as to whether their reason for going
out actually meets one of the listed criteria.  And I haven’t actually been stopped any of the times I’ve gone out.

It’s early days yet, but Paris is handling this way, way better than I’d have expected.

And a giant thumbs up to Free, who are keeping my 10G broadband flying along at an actual, measurable, 10G.

                                -Bill