nanog mailing list archives

Re: UDP/123 policers & status

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 08:57:32 -0700

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Steven Sommars <stevesommarsntp () gmail com>
wrote:

The various NTP filters (rate limits, packet size limits) are negatively
affecting the NTP Pool, the new secure NTP protocol (Network Time Security)
and other clients.  NTP filters were deployed several years ago to solve
serious DDoS issues, I'm not second guessing those decisions.  Changing the
filters to instead block NTP mode 7, which cover monlist and other
diagnostics, would improve NTP usability.

http://www.leapsecond.com/ntp/NTP_Suitability_PTTI2020_Revised_Sommars.pdf

Yeh, not changing ipv4 filters, Sorry pool. Burned once, twice shy.

There is no simple way to do router filters based on ntp app modes.

I suggest people be aware of time.google.com

And  time.cloudflare.com

CB