nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outsourced NOC Solutions

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 21:46:08 -0400

On 6/8/20 3:01 PM, Matt Harris wrote:
Is that considered true by most leased dark fiber providers? If I'm leasing a dark fiber circuit from a provider, I generally expect that what I'm leasing is in fact one [or more] physical strands of fiber - not a somehow redundant connection. Since he mentioned that this would be a dark fiber network, I would tend to assume that's the product that he'd be offering. Indeed, this has also been my experience with other providers, including very large and relatively smaller ones - when leasing dark fiber, or subscribing to a DWDM-based service, I'm going to be tied to a single, specific path and physical disruptions to said path will impact my connectivity. That's always been my expectation and experience at least - am I wrong, or has this changed at some point?

Some carriers offer protected waves. They're protected at layer 1/1.5 using a combination of OTN wrappers and optical switches. My experience has been that "wave" services are generally unprotected unless you request otherwise. They're also one of the few "lit" services where grooming clauses are not just well-accepted but often standard or even implied in the service definition (the service is defined as traversing a specific path/paths). Protection usually comes at a premium cost since you're essentially buying the same lambda (or ODU) along multiple paths.

Glass is glass. If you want protection, find more glass. I'm not even sure how you'd offer a protected "dark fiber" service without encroaching on the ability of the subscriber to light it to their pleasing.
--
Brandon Martin