nanog mailing list archives

Re: netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <nuclearcat () nuclearcat com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 04:12:07 +0300

On 2020-06-26 01:32, Mike Hammett wrote:
IPv6?

-----

By some reason my smart TV doesn't use IPv6 for Netflix, even everything else in same network using it properly (even developed for ESP8266/ESP32 - IPv6 enabled apps).

And what is worse:
"Netflix Kimberly
The Network settings is to check if it is in Automatic not specifically to search for VPN and Proxy in that area, but that is okay. Then please remember that IPv6 is not allowed and should be disabled. With all these done, please contact your Internet Service provider to get further clarification on this matter. I will send you an email with some other information to consult with XXXX. Please give me a moment to send it to you"

Honestly, this is very confusing suggestion from Netflix support (i have native ipv6!). Looking to https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/evv7r8/ipv6_and_netflix/ there is definitely some issues for other users too.

And final nail, local providers with OCA who does peering - don't provide IPv6 peering at all, and ISP i am using is too small to be qualified for OCA. Since bandwidth is very expensive here, it is no-go to push ipv6 and cutting off themself from cheaper(than "international capacity") OCA peering. Still, i tried, in browser it seems worked, but anyway i'm not going to watch movies on my desktop, while i have 4k screen, and also there is tons of users who don't have IPv6 enabled routers (they just buy cheapest brand).