nanog mailing list archives

RE: Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 20:15:05 +0100

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces () nanog org> On Behalf Of Mark Tinka
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2020 7:28 PM

On 19/Jun/20 17:13, Robert Raszuk wrote:

So I think Ohta-san's point is about scalability services not flat
underlay RIB and FIB sizes. Many years ago we had requests to support
5M L3VPN routes while underlay was just 500K IPv4.

Ah, if the context, then, was l3vpn scaling, yes, that is a known issue.

I wouldn't say it's known to many as not many folks are actually limited by only up to ~1M customer connections, or
next level up, only up to ~1M customer VPNs.

Apart from the global table vs. VRF parity concerns I've always had (one of
which was illustrated earlier this week, on this list, with RPKI in a VRF),

Well yeah, things work differently in VRFs, not a big surprise.
And what about an example of bad flowspec routes/filters cutting the boxes off net -where having those flowspec
routes/filters contained within an Internet VRF would not have such an effect.
See, it goes either way.
Would be interesting to see a comparison of good vs bad for the Internet routes in VRF vs in Internet routes in
global/default routing table.

the
other reason I don't do Internet in a VRF is because it was always a trade-off:

    - More routes per VRF = fewer VRF's.
    - More VRF's  = fewer routes per VRF.

No, that's just a result of having a finite FIB/RIB size -if you want to cut these resources into virtual pieces you'll
naturally get your equations above.
But if you actually construct your testing to showcase the delta between how much FIB/RIB space is taken by x prefixes
with each in a VRF as opposed to all in a single default VRF (global routing table) the delta is negligible.
(Yes negligible even in case of per prefix VPN label allocation method -which I'm assuming no one is using anyways as
it inherently doesn't scale and would limit you to ~1M VPN prefixes though per-CE/per-next-hop VPN label allocation
method gives one the same functionality as per-prefix one while pushing the limit to ~1M PE-CE links/IFLs which from my
experience is sufficient for most folks out there).

adam