nanog mailing list archives

RE: Router Suggestions

From: "Tony Wicks" <tony () wicks co nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 09:26:31 +1200

As someone who has used VSR (Nokia) and VMX (Juniper) I’d suggest, good luck on your plan to use servers for this sort
of routing. If you want a cheap router to handle full tables and a couple of 10G interfaces worth of throughput I’d
suggest you would be a lot better off with Mikrotik’s latest hardware offering -
https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_1g_12s_2xs

Just my 2c

We're also looking at going the virtual router route where we put 2-3 servers in a HA cluster loaded up with 10Gb
interfaces and running some sort of routing software.  In case you didn't catch on, I'm fairly early in running this
idea through the paces, although it seems like >this is a pretty common thing nowadays.