nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP route hijack by AS10990

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:31:37 +0200

On 31/Jul/20 16:01, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
How do you know that none of the prefixes had ROA? The ones that had
got stopped by Telias filter, so we would never know.

Like I said, "if". If they did, then they were protected. If they
didn't, well...

This is exactly the situation where RPKI already works. My and yours
prefixes, provided you like me have ROAs, will not be leaked through
Telia and a number of other large transits. Even if they did not have
proper filters in place.

I don't have to like you, but I will always honour your ROA :-).

That is my point, though - this works if ROA's are present. We know this
to not be the case - so having proper filters in place is not optional.
Not at least until we have 100% diffusion of ROA's + ROV. And even then,
we probably still want some kind of safety net.

Driving without RPKI / ROA is like driving without a seatbelt. You are
fine until the day someone makes a mistake and then you wish you did
your job at signing those prefixes sooner.

Don't disagree with you there.

Mark.