nanog mailing list archives

Re: RFC 5549 - IPv4 Routes with IPv6 next-hop - Does it really exists?

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:13:27 +0300

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 10:03, Vincent Bernat <bernat () luffy cx> wrote:

This is the solution Cumulus is advocating to its users, so I suppose
they have some real users behind that. Juniper also supports RFC 5549
but, from the documentation, the forwarding part is done using
lightweight tunnels.

I'm not sure if you claim otherwise, but no real 'tunneling' takes
place, as far as I know, it's internal implementation detail having
IPV6 next-hop for IPV4. I don't think there is any additional headers
or any additional lookup or cost.
Cisco supports extended nexthop encoding too, so it is fairly well
supported by shipping products.

--
  ++ytti